Friday, January 18, 2008

Reality...

A decade ago, I taught a two-session business communications seminar at a local college.

Using my captive audience, I ran a field study. I made one small change in my presentation: I dressed differently.

One day I wore a sports coat and tie. Another I wore an open collar shirt and Dockers.

For about 3 semesters I changed which day I wore what. The last day of the class I polled my students: Which class was best?

It didn't matter what I talked about, the best day was the day I dressed up.

Did dressing up change my performance or just their perception? I don't know. And it doesn't matter.

For some reason, the tie made a difference. The impact of the content was effected by how it was presented. The content itself never changed.

The same is true for your marketing materials. You may think it doesn't matters how your sales message in presented in your advertising.

But the presentation can affect your prospect's perception of your company and/or your staff's self-perception of your company.

In reality, it matters.

No comments: