Thursday, January 03, 2008

Goal Getting...

Having written goals is one of the greatest keys to success.

Having written goals that you refer to often, even if no one else ever sees them, has a certain power of keeping you focused.

In 1953, researchers polled the Yale University graduating class and found 3% had written goals. In 1973, researchers polled the class again and found that the 3% with written goals had "amassed more fortune than the other 97% combined!"

Powerful story, but my research indicates it may be just that: a story. An urban legend.

So let me reinforce the power of goal setting with a personal anecdote... More than a decade ago a girl I was dating attended a seminar on personal goal setting. When we met that night for dinner she was all fired-up. She pressed me to write down my goals and objectives for the next year in several key areas: personal, spiritual, social, career, etc.

That night, I did, Goal number one: Marry this girl.

The rest, as they say, is history.

No comments: