Friday, January 12, 2007

B-day...

I got $50 for my birthday this year.

That wouldn't be fodder for a marketing tip, except the $50 didn't
come from family or friends. It came from marketers. It seems
they're hoping to turn my B-day into Buying Day.

I don't know how some even know my birthday!

So far, I've gotten gift certificates from Ace Hardware, Macy's, and
three restaurants. Some have strings attached like $5 off $15.
Others have nostrings at all.

But no matter what the offer, I find myself feeling honored they
did anything at all. Even though I am very aware it is all an attempt
to help them sell more stuff.

Why?

In literature it's called "willing suspension of disbelief." Although
I know it's a slick sales pitch to drum up business, I’m willing to
accept that because it also makes me feel good that they remem-
bered. (Even if it's just their computer that remembered.)

I once created birthday cards for a client that read: "We lobbied to
make your birthday a national holiday. But since that didn't work...".
Another year the headline read: "We wanted to mail you a piece of
cake for your birthday, but it didn't fit in the envelope..." Both
contained one-day-only discount coupons.

Treating customers special on their special day is a great way to
honor them and cement loyalty.

How can you implement a program like this? You might collect
birthdays and send out a small gift or exclusive discount. Or you
could just send a personal note or card on the anniversary of their
first purchase with you. Whatever you do, take the time to recognize
them and they just might give you a gift in return.

Phil Sasso

No comments: