Monday, January 29, 2007

Ad-Vice...

Recently, I launched a first-time radio campaign for a client. It’s a direct response spot for an unknown brand of big-ticket vanity product that fits a narrow target market. It’s not available in stores. There’s no website mentioned. And the 800# doesn’t spell anything or have a catchy jingle.

I carefully explained to the client it could take weeks before the phone rang. We needed time to build brand awareness, to create a need -- and at the very least get the audience to remember the phone number. I believed the campaign would work, but it would take a while to get results. He just needed patience.

I was wrong. Leads started flooding in from day one. I never expected such instant results. It seems the moment the ad airs, the phone rings.

I’m not suggesting you consider radio advertising. It’s not for everyone. But I am suggesting that you consider the effectiveness of advertising methods and media you may not have considered before. I think the reason this spot works, aside from my excellence in writing and directing, is that no competing product uses the same media.

Now, I’m convinced this campaign will exceed expectations. (Sometimes even I’m surprised by the power of advertising.)

What new marketing technique have you not tried, lately?

-- Phil Sasso

No comments: