Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Pickles...

I grilled out last week. Burgers were the main menu item. As I
took a bite I applauded the great taste and my grilling skill. I also
noticed a greatcondiment.

"Great pickles, Beth," I said. "What are they?"

"Claussen," she replied.

"They're amazing!" I said. "Very crisp. And just the right balance of
flavor."

Then it hit me. Nothing is so good without a cost.

"How much were they?" I asked.

Beth took a big bite of her burger.

"Mrftoandraft dollars," she replied with her mouth full.

"Didn't your mother ever teach you not to talk with your mouth full?"
I retorted.

Then I realized it wasn't because her mouth was full, that I couldn't
understand her. She was mumbling on purpose.

"How much can a jar of pickles cost?" I asked.

"They are kept in the refrigerated section," she informed me.

"I know. I remember the commercials from when I was a kid," I said.
"How much could a jar of pickles cost?"

"Seven dollars."

"Seven dollars?! What are they gold plated? Seven dollars for
cucumbers in vinegar?" The cheapskate in me sprouted up. I started
counting pickles. "What is that like a quarter a pickle?"

"That's regular price. I buy them when they're on sale two for one."

"What's the store brand? Like $1.79?" I put down my burger. "People
actually pay $7.00 for a jar of pickles?"

"They're not just pickles," she reminded me. "They're Claussen"

The next day, we were biking past a French Market. We parked to
look around. We stopped at "The Pickle Guy" a merchant who
specialized in just pickles and peppers.

"Want to try a sample?" The Pickle Guy asked.

"Sure."

He handed us a slice of pickle to share.

"Isn't that the best pickle you ever had?" he asked.

It certainly rivaled Claussen. I picked up the container and read the
price. Suffice to say, it made Beth look frugal.

My marketing point? Price is relative. People will pay whatever they
perceive as the value of your product. It depends on what they are
willing to pay for what's important to them. Good promotion builds
the value of your product. How are you promoting your value? Are you
maximizing your profit? How can you differentiate your product to
build perceived value?

-Phil Sasso

No comments: