Tuesday, November 14, 2006

MOA....

A while ago, I visited the Mall of America in Minneapolis for the first time. What's the biggest mall in America like? Disorientating.

"Do you know where we're going?" asked Beth.

"I'm not even sure I could retrace my steps to get back to the van," I said. "Are you leaving a trail of popcorn or something?"

"Seriously, do you know how to get to the Rain Forest?"

"I'm lost. Really, I have no idea where we are," I replied. "Did you see the sign in the garage? It said 'Remember: You're Parked in Arizona'? This place is too big."

"Here's a directory. Let's see what it says."

I tried to let my eyes adjust to the overwhelming amount of information.

"Uh, I can't even find the "You Are Here" sticker," I announced. "Look, here's a phone. I'm going to call for help."

Anything that makes a man ask for directions must be built for women. I've driven for hours to avoid asking for help. Five minutes in MOA and I'm begging for directions.

"Thank you for calling Mall of America," the message began. "All of our operators are busy. Someone will be with you shortly..."

"Tell them we're across from Macy's," Beth said studying my face. "Are you on hold?"

I imagined some man who had circumnavigated the globe without a map standing at another kiosk in the MOA on the verge of tears asking how to get to the Lake Woebegone store.

"Mall of America," said the voice over my lifeline.

"I'm, uh, in the Mall." I began, my voice cracking. "I'm lost..."

"It's O.K.," came back a warm, reassuring voice. "You're near Macy's. Where do you want to go?"

After a moment I was armed with directions.

The marketing lesson? How easy do you make it for customers to buy from you? Do they need to navigate an overwhelming amount of product variations and options? Or do you give them a road map--or better yet a friendly voice to guide them?

If you have a lot of options, a comparison chart can help customers pick the best product for their needs. If your product is complicated, an online demo voice can give a benefit-by-benefit sales presentation. Or a friendly customer service person can answer pre-sales questions in-store, on the phone, or online.

Back at the MOA, we finally got from Arizona to the Rain Forest. Once seated at the restaurant, my self-confidence came back. Until I was handed the 20-page menu...

- Phil Sasso

No comments: