Thursday, September 14, 2006

Pack Age...

Last week, when vacationing in Southwest Wisconsin, we followed
simple, hand-painted signs around a long, curving country road to
an Amish farm to buy maple syrup.

I find the Amish intriguing. The simple lifestyle challenges me to
consider what life was like a hundred years ago. In my case, it makes
me wonder what marketing looked like. I imagine my life would have
been a lot different...

"Hello Phillip. I need a sign to advertise eggs," my client would say
stomping dust from his boots as he entered my workshop.

"O.K. Jacob. What kind of eggs?' I'd reply.

"Chicken eggs," he'd retort looking at me sideways. "What'cha
expect? Cow eggs?"

"What makes them different? What grade are they? What size are
they? Are they brown or white? Do they have double yolks? Are they
organic? Can I design new packaging for them? " I'd say becoming
passionate. "How can we differentiate them and help you gain
market share?"

"They're not all that," Jacob might say. "Eggs is eggs. And they already
got a package. It's called a shell. Phillip. are you feelin' O.K?"

At this point I imagine Jacob going for the doctor.

We've come a long way. Actually, although the art and science of
marketing has come a long way, some marketers are still nearly as
primitive. They fail to understand the need to really analyze each
aspect of the product and promotion to produce the best marketing
advantage.

Back at the Amish home, Emma brings Beth a big jug of all-natural
organic Maple Syrup. I expect a glass jug maybe with a cork stopper.
Instead she hands Beth a cheap plastic bottle with FDA-approved
Nutritional Labeling and a tiny address label stuck on it.

The address label was a nice touch. Otherwise, I was disillusioned.

I guess sometimes things look much more romantic in your imagination.

- Phil Sasso

No comments: