Tuesday, September 05, 2006

High Tech "Hi" Touch...

Got an interesting call at home yesterday. It went something like this:

"Hi This is Christy from the Chicago Tribune. I'd like to thank you for your new subscription. "

"You're welcome," I said.

"If you ever have any problems with your subscription, please call us at 1-800-TRIBUNE."

"Thanks," I replied.

"And I'd also like to urge you to sign up for the Tribune's Subscriber Advantage by going to chicagotribune.com/sa."

"I think my wife already signed up" I said

"Subsriber Advantage is free. And it offers you specials and discounts at a variety of..."

"Can I interrupt you a moment?" I asked.

"area merchants..."

"Christy?"

"Restaurants..."

"Christy?! Hello!!!"

"and events."

She was a recorded message. I hate broadcast messages. Except this one. He voice was real and genuine, not too polished and not too scripted. And because her only purpose was to thank me and promote a free service, I wasn't offended. In fact, I was relieved that it wasn't a sales call and that I didn't have to reject her. She sounded very nice.

I think it was ad pioneer Claude Hopkins that said: "Advertising is salesmanship in print." Today that would probably best be stated as "Advertising uses technology as a salesperson."

Anyone in personal selling knows the importance of follow-up. In this case it would be outrageously expensive to pay someone to thank every new subscriber. This solution was even cheaper than mailing a generic postcard -- and felt much more personal.

Using a "hi-tech" method to create a "hi-touch" experience was very clever. Automating the process made sure everyone would be thanked in a uniform way. And the script and the voiceover talent was perfect. So perfect I didn't even realize it was a recording. If I had I may have hung up in the first few seconds and missed the point.

How can you use technology to cost-effectively automate part of your selling process? Could it help you more effectively pre-qualify, take orders or follow-up? And how can you make your use of technology seem more personal and less mechanical?

By the way, thanks for reading my tips. If I can ever be of service, please email phil@xmark.com.

- Phil Sasso

No comments: