Thursday, July 17, 2008

Beyond Selling...

Beth and I bought a new storm door at a big box store over the weekend.

It was a little bit of a process. O.K. it was quite a project. Not installing the door -- ordering it.

First, Beth called the store to see if the sale was still on.

They ran her through the phone gauntlet. Finally, someone took initiative.

"I'll find out and and call you back," he said.

I laughed.

"Couldn't the second person you talked to call you back?"

But, true to his word, he called back. He gave Beth the details of the deal.

"Anything else I should ask?" Beth said looking at me.

"His name," I responded. "He may be the only guy in the store who knows anything about this."

Then we began the hunt. We drove to the store. We found the aisle. We found a brochure. And we saw our door on display.

So we headed back to the front desk to place an order. They sent us back to the millwork to place our order.

We waited for the clerk to finish with his customer, and then he answered our every question.

He even gave us advice on a $57 installation deal.

"Not a bad deal," I said. "Means one less project on my list of undone things."

"The $57 is after rebate. That's about half normal installation," he said. "But there is a $35 delivery charge and a $15 haul away charge."

"That would put us back at full price," I said, stating the obvious. "So why don't we just throw out our own door and take it with us?"

"Have you seen the doors back there? They are pretty manhandled," he asked. "I can special order it for you at no extra charge. You can choose any color door and hardware combination. We'll put in on the side and I'll call you when it's in and you can pick it up."

I picked out colors and ran them past Beth.

"I'm not sure..." Beth said.

"If you don't like the color when it comes in, you don't have to take it. You don't pay until you pick it up."

SOLD.

We ordered the door, AND the installation. Turns out this clerk was the guy who returned Beth's call. I was impressed. You rarely get that kind of attentive service in a big box. He earned the sale. And I hope a commission for his salesmanship.

Why is an employee at a big box going over and beyond the job so surprising?

I don't know, but the next time I need millwork, I'm calling Gene.

HOMEWORK: How easy is it for customers to deal with you? Are your salespeople informed? Is your service department helpful? Does your team do their job, or do they go beyond the call? How do you recognize your team members for doing an exceptional job?

No comments: