Thursday, May 31, 2007

REMIX: Telemarketing Calls...

Here’s a remix of a vintage marketing tip from my strategic cellar...

"Hi!” the too-friendly voice greeted me on the phone. “Is this Phil?”

"Uh. Yes…" I said, wondering what this guy was selling.

"Jim and Julie Moore gave me your name," he said. "They wanted you and Beth to have a complimentary carpet cleaning."

"Really?!" I replied in false excitement. "But my whole house is hardwood floors."

He didn't even stumble.

"Well our system can also clean upholstery and drapes" he said without missing a beat.

System? I suddenly realized this wasn't a gift. Our "friends" had given up our name to a vacuum cleaner salesman.

Beth and I got dozens of calls like this when we were newly-weds. It could have been Kirby or Rainbow vacuums. Or someone selling timeshares. All I know is each time I felt awkward -- and a little betrayed.

But referral programs are one of the most effective ways to increase sales. What better advertising is there than a recommendation from a satisfied customer?

One of my client’s added 8% to their customer database with an inexpensive referral program. They didn't just ask for referrals. They paid for them.

The mechanics were simple: We created mailings and POS brochures asking existing customers to refer a friend to my client. The new customer got a deep discount and the existing customer got a check.

We avoided the mistake other referral plans make. We didn't ask our customer to give US their friend's name. They gave our coupon to their friend.

The difference? A referral from a friend is more sincere and convincing than a call from you. And no one feels betrayed.

May I ask you for a referral?

Enjoy my tips? Find them helpful? Tell a friend. If they email tips@shaboom.com I'll send them my tips, too. If they mention your email, I'll send you a free copy of my “Top 22 Tips” ebook.

(The email must come directly from the friend. You can’t sign up someone else.)

I won’t betray your trust by pestering your friend. Promise.

And thanks for the referral!

- Phil Sasso

No comments: