Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Many Unhappy Returns….

Since it will soon be 'tis the season for returns, I thought I'd touch on how NOT to deal with returns.

My office manager, Pat, told me the following customer service horror story that illustrates how few marketers realize how just big marketing really is. From what she said I imagine her conversation went something like this...

"I'd like to return an item I bought online a few months ago. I know you may have to charge me a restocking fee, but...," Pat said.

"You can't return it," the customer service rep said.

"I've had it a while, I understand. Can I exchange it instead?" she asked.

"Nope," the rep replied.

"My grandson's mattress was destroyed in a move and this won't fit his new one," Pat explained "It's never been opened. Is there anything I can do?"

"Maybe you could sell it on ebay," the rep suggested.

"Ebay?" Pat responded, stifling a scream. "Can I talk to your manager?"

I would have asked "Can I speak to someone with some authority -- or perhaps a brain?"

The manager eventually resolved things for her. But do you think Pat will ever shop with this merchant again?

There's a lot of marketing missteps that happened here, but perhaps the biggest problem centers as much around poor training as the lack of authority the CSR (Customer Service Rep) was given.

Selecting a new CSR? Beyond his or her background, look for good communication skills and a warm personality. Then invest in training. Go beyond the basics. Don't just train them on your computer system and policies. Teach them about listening and empathy. Your CSRs are your marketing voice. They are the only human contact some people will ever have with your company. Make sure they are prepared for that responsibility.

Then, empower them with some level of authority. Or at the very least, have them offer to transfer the call to the person with the authority to solve the customer's problem. ("I can't help you." should be a rare phrase in a CSR's vocabulary and should only be followed with "I can transfer you to someone who may".)

And "you could sell it on ebay" might be a phrase that's best avoided altogether.

--Phil Sasso

No comments: