Thursday, October 12, 2006

Count on It...

I was researching media for a client recently. The cost-per-thousand (CPM) was a little high, but I could negotiate that. However, something didn't fit - I just didn't know what. My instinct told me to probe. I kept asking questions trying to ferret out what I was missing. Finally I hit on the right question: "Does anyone else in the same product category advertise with you."

"No," the rep replied. "But that could be a good thing. There's no competition."

"Or there's no buyers in your readership," I countered.

"Or that," she conceded.

I'm a big proponent of doing due diligence before you invest in new or untested media. Ask every question. Add up every number. Do the math. But even if all the numbers add up, it could be a bad buy. On the other hand, sometimes when all the numbers DON'T add up, it could be a great undiscovered opportunity.

I read a powerful quote that covers a lot more than media planning, but life in general: "Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." It was attributed to Einstein.

In this case, it fits perfectly. I've run analysis where the best publication isn't the most effective. And I've stared at ads with results that were like humming birds. Scientifically, they shouldn't fly -- but they do.

I wish I could measure things like reader loyalty: Do they read every issue? How much do they read? Do they trust the publication? Do they look at the ads? But you can't always count those things.

Instead, I rely on my experience and count on my track record.


- Phil Sasso

No comments: