Friday, February 16, 2007

Super Ads II...

Last week, I lamented the lack of a truly great Super Bowl commercial this year. There were some doubles and and maybe a triple, but no grand slam home runs.

And apparently, no one leveraged their ads beyond their 30 seconds of fame. A survey by search-engine marketing firm Reprise Media, noted that 70% of Super Bowl advertisers website landing pages "didn't have any clear association with the Super Bowl ads. "

I wish I knew who the 30% of smart marketers were. With a cost of $2.6 million, you should do everything possible to use media relations and your website to squeeze every drop of effectiveness out of your investment. Even if you don't spend millions on an ad, it's smartest to use every channel you have available to repeat or enhance your marketing message.

That said, I'll step off my soap box and finish awarding my cheers and sneers (call them the "Hammy Awards" if you like!)


BEST SELF-PROMOTION: Late Show with David Letterman...

If it was an ad, it would have been my "Home Run". It's an unpaid CBS promo, so it doesn't qualify. But it was a memorable 10 seconds.

Goes like this: David Letterman, wearing a Colts Jersey says "You want the Bears and I want the Colts, but we both win because we're in love." As the camera pulls back, Oprah Winfrey, seated beside him in a Bears jersey, replies "Honey don't talk with your mouth full."

(See it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNk38QKzZLs)

Background: For years Oprah refused to appear on Letterman. It was Dave's running gag. (Oprah did finally appear to promote the broadway opening of her "The Color Purple" musical.)

Don't think it's that funny? That's why I like the spot. I like Letterman. If you liked the spot, you'd probably like his show. If not...

Lesson: Know your audience. Talk to them. If others don't get it, that's O.K.


MOST OFFENSIVE ADS: Snickers + GM

Snickers: Offending two opposing groups with the same spot was quite a feat. Odd risk for a leading candy brand.

2nd most offensive: A GM robot daydreams about suicide. Snickers didn't bother me. This one did.

Lesson: Getting noticed requires pushing the envelope. Just be sure you weigh the possible impact.


BEST CUSTOMER-SUGGESTED AD: Doritos

It was the only one. But it was a good one.

Lesson: Listen to your customers. They may have some great ideas.


ODDEST AD: Emerald Nuts

Robert Goulet & Emerald Nuts? I didn't get it. But I remembered it. However, I don't expect to buy Emerald Nuts anytime, soon.

Lesson: Sometimes getting remembered isn't as important as HOW they react.


CORNIEST HUMOR: Fed-Ex Ground...

I thought "Mr. Turkey-neck" was the corniest ad. But I like corny. It made me laugh out loud. But more importantly, it made the point.

Lesson: Funny is good. But more importantly a successful ad needs to make a selling point. This one does.

Quick: Without looking online, what Super Bowl spots do you remember? Be sure you include the sponsor's name.

I'll let you know what I learn by email or on my blog.

- Phil Sasso

No comments: