Thursday, October 18, 2007

Give & Take...

I’m out of town this week. So, here’s a Sasso Marketing Tip Re:mix…

A client was tempted to fight an aggressive competitor with huge price discounts.

"What if they lower THEIR prices?" I asked. "Are you ready for a price war?”

Silence.

“You won't build loyalty,” I said. “Customers could lose sight of value and buy on price alone. It may even cast doubt about the quality of your services. And what if the competitor can sell below your cost? They could put you out of business!"

"And you suggest I do nothing?" he responded.

"No. I suggest you use giving as your marketing advantage'" I said.

"So don't discount my services -- just give them away?" he looked in my eyes to see if I was kidding. "Are you nuts?"

"Not giving away your services," I clarified. "I'm saying align yourself with a non-profit that’s important to your customers. We’d advertise that customers are helping support the “Kids and Puppies Charity” -- or whatever. Then we'd work with the non-profit to get the word out using all our channels -- and theirs."

More and more consumers are being swayed by cause-centered marketing.
Given the choice of two brands with similar price and quality, 76% of consumers would buy the one that supports a worthy cause, according to a study by Cone Communications and Roper Starch Worldwide. The study also found 76% would switch brand loyalty for a cause -- and 54% would pay more to support a cause they believe in.

The key is finding a non-profit that fits.

It needs to be relevant to your business and meaningful to your target market. Most importantly, the non-profit needs to be willing to work with you.

For example, a bookstore supporting a literacy program is obvious. But the literary program needs to be willing to lend their name and work with you.

Can’t find a cause to work with? Consider starting your own.

One of my clients started a scholarship fund in their field. Another became the sole sponsor of a non-profit event in return for exclusive sponsorship plugs.

How can giving give you upper hand? What do your customers care about? What group will work with you?

No comments: