Friday, January 26, 2007

UPS and Downs...

As I was watching my Bears win the NFC Championship this Sunday, I saw a new UPS "whiteboard" commercial (whiteboard.ups.com).

In the campaign a spokesman stands in front of a whiteboard with a brown marker Illustrating his UPS sales pitch.

The commercials are focused, simple and memorable. They don't try to cover a lot of ground. (no pun intended!) Each just gives you one reason to choose UPS.

The one I remember explained how one driver can pick up all your packages -- overnight, international or ground. Obviously the competition requires several drivers and several calls.

It's a low-budget approach. UPS didn't spend a lot of money on expensive special effects and graphics. They just paid a talented copywriter and film crew to shoot a poised spokesman And it will probably draw a lot of new customers to UPS.

I really like the commercials -- even if I really hate UPS.

Although UPS has lost time-sensitive packages and refused my claims -- TWICE -- I still think their ad is good. It's smart and strategic.

But the ad won't influence ME. I won't ship with UPS again.

Good advertising can sell a product or service ONCE. But no amount of good advertising can sell a bad product or service THE SECOND TIME.

My Bears are going to the Super Bowl. Win or lose, I'm proud of them. But I'm hoping FedEx spent the $2.6 million to promote their services during Super Bowl XLI.

Go Bears! Go FedEx!

- Phil Sasso

No comments: