Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Cereal Boxes.....

I remember standing in the grocery aisle when I was little deciding
between Frankenberry and Boo-berry cereal. (I'm not a big chocolate
lover, so Count Chocula never really appealed to me.)

The real choice had more to do with the free gift inside than the
flavor. There's a marketing lesson in that buying pattern.

Although I'm bigger today, I'm still sometimes lulled into making
decisions based on the add-on more than the thing I'm paying for. I
think, at times, most people do.

For instance, Beth loves a local Italian restaurant. The food is good.
Even better are the big portions because we always come home with
leftovers. That means another cooking-free meal for her. ("It's like
eating out twice!") I was delighted when I found out our new mattress
came with a free bed frame. (I don't even need a new frame!) And I'll
sometimes pay extra for free things. For instance, I once paid $50
more for "FREE DELIVERY".

What value-added product or service can you add to the mix to tip the
buying fulcrum in your favor?

- Phil Sasso

No comments: