Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Sales: Blah, Blah, Blah...

As I stood listening to the sales person drone on and on, my eyes started to glaze over. I started noticing things that had nothing to do with the sales pitch, like weird patterns in the carpet and the strange pin the salesperson was wearing. Was it a serpent or a dragon...

"So, what do you think?"

"Huh?"

"Can I sign you up today?"

"No, Sorry. I've got to run. I'm feeling a little drowsy. Thanks anyway."

A good salesperson knows the balance between listening and talking. Not this one!

In advertising, like in sales, you can talk too much, too.

Saying too much makes it impossible for your prospect to remember your Unique Selling proposition. Stick to selling one key, distinguishing feature in an ad and you'll sell much more than trying to cover everything. If you have more than one USP, buy more than one ad and position them on consecutive pages. But keep to one point.

Think about it. How much time do YOU spend reading ads? And how many do you actually remember? What's the last ad you read? What was it about? Would you buy it?

Saying too much clouds the message. Stay focused and you'll gain more sales than trying to say everything.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need a nap.

-Phil Sasso

No comments: