Friday, September 08, 2006

On Sale...

"I ordered a new shirt for you today" Beth announced over dinner. "I think you'll like it. It'll look great with that new jacket I got you last Spring."

"Hmm..." was all I could say, My mouth full.

"Eddie Bauer had this great end of season sale. Everything online was 40% off outlet prices. Isn't that great?, I got you a new summer weight sports shirt, too. Like that green one you wear all the time"

Now I know Beth pretty well. She's very generous. But most likely, she's telling me about what she got me to soften the blow before she tells me what she bought herself.

I smiled, took a drink and tried to avoid sounding sarcastic.

"I hope you got something for yourself, too."

She smiled and nodded.

"And that was?"

"Just a pair of shoes," she smiled. She's so good at disarming me.

"Another pair of shoes?!" I blurted out. "I mean, oh that's nice another pair of shoes. Who was that leader in the Phillipines with all the shoes in the 80's. Marcos?

"Phil, calm down, they were 40% off outlet,' she said filling my glass for me.

Needless to say, I couldn't make my wife walk around barefoot while I parade around in a new shirt, could I?

Since I make a living in marketing, it's hard for me to begrudge a good marketer for doing their job well.

This particular technique is the "BIG SALE.' Whatever creative "Blow-Out, End-of-Season, Extravaganza" name you call it by, it's purpose is to bump up sales during a historically slow period.

Want to pre-empt your competition during off-peak periods? Hold a "BIG SALE".

It can help you boost sales during a certain day part (Red Eye Specials), day of the week (Wacky Wednesday), or time of year (March Madness). However you package it, an off-peak sale can capture dollars customers otherwise wouldn't spend with you. Doesn't matter if you sell stilettos or industrial drill bits -- off-peak discounting can help you level out slow periods.

So reward your customers for helping you manage cash flow. Like with a new shirt or something.


-Phil Sasso

No comments: