Friday, June 24, 2016


What's Your Marketing Pink Toilet?


Can you keep a secret?

I have a pink toilet in my bathroom. It’s kind of a unique focal point in our home that Beth and I wish wasn’t so unique.

However, I rarely think about it. I see it several times a day, but I’ve gone blind to it. As long as it … uh, works … it’s basically invisible.

Until recently.

I won’t go into graphic detail, but suffice to say it’s time.

Until now, I never realized how many decisions there are in choosing a toilet. (I’m sure the buying process will become fodder for many posts to come. So, stay tuned.)
I think we all have a pink toilet or two in our lives. Something we see everyday, but no longer really see.

In marketing, it may be your logo or your literature or your website.

Websites are common Pink Toilets. Design and technology changes so quickly that we often don’t realize how out-of-date our site it is and how poorly it reflects on our brand. As long as it … uh, works … it’s basically invisible. But it you wait until it stops working completely, you could be in for a big mess.

I’ve been helping a lot of clients with website redesigns lately. And because I do this every day, I know all the modern features that make websites more productive and improve search engine ranking (RWD, SSL, SSD, XML Sitemaps, etc.).

It may sound like alphabet soup to a new website prospect, but to many of my happy clients it spells almost daily prospect phone calls and emails.

Step back and take a look at your marketing. What’s working? What’s not?



No comments: