Friday, June 24, 2011

In The Mood, Part 4....

My “bank rant” continues from last time. 

I walked into my bank after complaining about fees and faced a
well-designed promotional message on the door:

“Earn $240”

All I had to do was open a new account. The fine print turned me from
intrigued to irritated:

“New Customers Only.”

Someone in marketing wasn’t thinking. Aren’t 99% of the people walking
in the front door current customers? What message are they sending:
“YourLocal Bank: Raising Your Fees To Give Your Money To Our New
Customers.”

After my transaction, the teller rubs salt in my wound by handing me a
flyer and asking me to refer a friend so THEY can get $240 for opening a
new account.

How does that make a loyal customer feel? How would it make you feel?

Wouldn’t a better approach be to pay me $120 for a referral and my
friend $120 for switching banks?

Takeaway: Are you treating new customers better than existing ones?

No comments: