Thursday, May 07, 2009

Permission Slip: Seth Godin & The Permission Revolution...

Seth Godin's manifesto Permission Marketing was first published 10 years ago this week.

The book's premise is simple: traditional ads interrupt our lives. Permission Marketing asks your customers to opt-in to your ads. By getting their permission, you get their attention -- and that's more effective. (He tends to emphasize Internet marketing.)

Seth's work tends to be polarizing. This, his first book, was no exception.

If you subscribe to his premise, then traditional advertising is a waste.

I get him. But I don't buy into his argument. Sometimes we still need to be sold:

Example 1: I want to try KFC's new grilled chicken. I didn't opt-in. I just saw it on TV and started salivating.

Example 2: I get too much email from Eddie Bauer. I opted in to their list -- but it's still annoying.

Example 3: I skimmed my political mail before the April election. Most people didn't even know there was an election.

Example 4: I have life insurance because someone interrupted me to sell it. (Otherwise, I might still be uninsured.)

So, although I agree Permission Marketing is a powerful tool, without traditional sales and marketing, it falls far short of the mark.

Takeaway: Build opt-in databases. Use them. Just don't expect that to take the place of traditional branding.

2 comments:

Cheryl Howard said...

Sure I saw a great KFC ad. But then a friend on Facebook sent me a link for a coupon for a free meal. I ignored it. Then my sister in law sends me the same link in an email. This time I printed the darn thing and I get a free dinner next week. First I'm enticed by an ad, but it was the "opt in" that is getting my feet to the store. Seems that the two are a good team.

Phil Sasso said...

Good team - Like KFC and Slaw?

Except I missed out on the coupon. Guess that ploy was lost on me. I'll still try it -- but likely later than sooner.

Point made.