Thursday, February 19, 2009

Moan...

"Come here," Beth said standing over the kitchen sink. "I need your help."

When I walked up, she sprayed the front of my shirt.

"Hey!" I yelled. "That's not funny."

"I wasn't trying to be funny," she replied. "I can't turn the sprayer off."

Sure enough, the sprayer was stuck on. I squeezed the button a dozen times and it wouldn't shut off.

"Just turn the water off," I said. "And leave it there."

"And it will spray all over whoever uses the sink next!"

"Oh," I replied. "I didn't think of that. It would be a fun prank, though."

Moan.

Or rather Moen -- that's who made the faucet.

I emailed Moen's website with a snapshot of the sprayer working without anyone touching it.

They emailed me back asking for another tighter photo and my mailing address so they could replace it.

I usually don't name names. But that's because I'm usually pointing out failure.

Moen has not failed. They have made good. In fact, they have made good even though I told them I don't have any documentation. (Who really keeps every receipt and warranty card?)

Whose faucets am I going to consider first when I remodel my bathroom?

I'll let you know if they come through as promised in the end. But so far, so good.

Takeaway: How do you handle warranty issues? Is customer service more about policing against abuse or "serving and protecting" your customer? Remember: for every customer that complains to you first, three will complain to others.

No comments: