Friday, November 14, 2008

Bad Breath, Bad Marketing...

A couple years back a small coffee shop opened a few doors down from my office.

The new owner approached me for advice a few days before her doors opened.

Hoping to gain a strategic friendship with a nearby afternoon caffeine jolt, I gave her a few moments of my time.

After she outlined her ideas and vision for her shop, I asked her what her marketing strategy was.

"Word of mouth," she replied.

Apparently she had spent all her funds on the build out and equipment and had nothing left for marketing.

I asked her what made her think her shop could take off in this location at this time.

"All my friends told me it sounded like a great idea," she replied.

I heard the death knoll ring out in her words.

I wondered if these were the same kind of friends who let you walk around with spinach in your teeth or toilet paper stuck on your shoe.

"Of course they think it's a good idea," I told her. "They're your FRIENDS. Who wants to squash their friend's dream?"

I gave her a few ideas to generate word of mouth and the name and number of a local newspaper editor. I advised her to get some money from her encouraging friends and buy a few ads.

She left my office a little put off by my blunt realism. She didn't even invite me to stop by the shop for a free cup of coffee.

Less than six months later, the shop closed.

A lot of people rely on a network of friends or associates for marketing advice. The problem is, no matter if you sell coffee or car parts, these people aren't going to tell you your idea stinks anymore than they'd say you have bad breath.

That's because they don't want to offend you. Ask your dentist and you'll likely get a more honest perspective -- and a solution.

So if you want to know if your branding stinks, ask a pro. In fact, email me and I'd be glad to give you a quick consultation.

And it won't even cost you a cup of coffee.

No comments: