Thursday, May 08, 2008

Bell's Bills- Part One

"Our phone bill came today," Beth said offhandedly. "It's higher than usual."

"How much higher?" I asked

"I don't know -- about 50 pecent," Beth replied.

"Fity percent?!" I responded. "That's outrageous!"

"And I'm not sure why. It started last month"

"I'm sure why," I said. "The introductory rate expired. We've been ..."

I paused for effect.

"AUTO RENEWED -- at higher rate!"

[Insert suspenseful music here.]

I advise my clients not to use marketing techniques they don't like used against them.

One technique I really dislike is auto renewal.

Auto renewal preys on our busyness -- or laziness. These sly marketers realize that, given a choice, customers won't renew most contracts. Or they'll do their homework and look for a better deal. But by using the auto renewal tactic, these shifty conmen lock us into a new contract -- as if on autopilot. And most customers won't take the time to cancel. If they can cancel, that is.

Tricky marketers spin it as a "convenience" to customers.

I call it a unprofitable marketing.

Why unprofitble? I'll explain next week -- after I talk to my phone company.

Is your marketing strategy doing unto others? Or not doing?

Remember: brand loyalty is earned, not auto renewed.

No comments: